Through higher education, young citizens gain a wider understanding of both their country and the world around them.
Eighteen months ago, we introduced our globally recognised Internationalising Higher Education programme to Egypt. Linking us with partners in the UK, government universities and the Ministry of Higher Education, it helps us develop our expertise in the areas of:
- employability and career development
- academic research.
As part of this programme we aim to:
- work with the Ministry of Higher Education and UK partners on strategy and policy development
- encourage local and international discussion and debate around higher education issues and challenges
- support government policies for increased growth in employment through skills-based qualifications
- take part in professional networks and dialogue that promote information sharing.
The programme has opened doors for us to showcase our expertise internationally.
We’ve recently had the opportunity to:
- take part in a study visit to the UK to strengthen links between our countries
- support the National Research Centre establish their long-term strategic plans and offer staff mentoring in leadership
- host representatives from Liverpool John Moores University, who came to scope potential career development centres in Alexandria and Ain Shams universities
- hold a ‘How to plan your own business’ workshop at Cairo University during Global Entrepreneurship Week.
Read more about our activities on the British Council Internationalising Higher Education website.
We’ve received some great feedback about our activities including:
‘This is the best day I have had since I became President. I never expected this to take place.’ - Professor Osama Ibrahim, President, Alexandria University.
‘This is the best team-building exercise we have ever had. We now have a common goal and understanding.’ - Professor Seddik Abdel Salam, Vice President for Post-Graduate Studies, Alexandria University.
Phone the British Council Egypt on +20 (0)2 19789 or email us at HigherEducationEgypt@britishcouncil.org.eg for more information about our work with the programme or to find out how you can take part in our events and activities.