This is a short introductory course for those who have no experience of English language teaching or experienced primary teachers who would like to develop their teaching skills even further. The course includes 10 sessions from Teaching for Success British Council materials in addition to observations of experienced British Council teachers. The course will be delivered in an interactive and engaging way that provides plenty of practical ideas you can use in the classroom.
What are the benefits of Teaching Primary Essentials?
- learn the basics of teaching primary in a short course
- understand how primary children learn
- build confidence as a teacher
- prepare for teaching qualifications like the Cambridge English Teaching Knowledge Test (TKT) that focuses on teaching young learners aged 6-12
- get information to help you decide if this is a career for you and if you want to take a recognised English teaching qualification or training course
- observe experienced British Council teachers
Who is Teaching Primary Essentials for?
The Teaching Primary Essentials course is for those who have no experience or qualification in English language teaching, but are interested in starting to teach English to primary children or experienced primary teachers who would like to develop their Young Learners (YLs) teaching skills.
How is The Teaching Primary Essentials course structured?
The course consists of ten face-to-face workshops in addition to an observation of an experienced British Council Teacher. The sessions are about 3 hours long.
The course covers the following topics:
1. Understanding how primary children learn
2. Understanding assessment for learning for primary
3. Understanding behaviour management
4. Understanding games for primary
5. Understanding grammar for primary
6. Understanding language use and instruction for primary
7. Understanding vocabulary for primary
8. Understanding songs and rhymes
9. Understanding activities and classroom space for learning.
10. Engaging with lesson planning models and frameworks
Each workshop gives you the chance to discuss your ideas, observe teachers on video and try out the activities that English teachers use. You will explore all the main areas of English language teaching to primary children in a short course.
On successful completion of the course, you will receive a certificate from the British Council.