The British Council recently conducted a comprehensive research study in Egypt and Jordan to assess the awareness and perception of British Council and UK International Qualifications among parents whose children are taking O/A level exams.
The primary objectives of the research study were evaluating the perception of UK international qualifications and the British Council's role in maintaining the quality and integrity of qualifications.
Global Impact of UK International Qualifications
Every year, the British Council delivers more than four million UK international qualifications in over 100 countries. The global expertise spans 2100+ schools, supporting the delivery of UK international school qualifications, and creating a global network of resources, educators, and opportunities.
Key Findings from Egypt and Jordan
- Preference for UK International Qualifications: 53% of surveyed Egyptian parents expressed a strong preference for UK International School Qualifications.
- Perception of enabler: 34% of surveyed parents in Egypt perceive the UK International School Qualifications as an enabler for access to workforce and higher education opportunities.
- Strong Preference for UK International Qualifications: 99% of surveyed parents in Jordan expressed a strong preference for UK International School Qualifications.
- Path to Success: 53% of surveyed parents in Jordan agree that UK International School Qualifications help students get into the workforce or into university.
Insights from Egyptian Parents
Surveyed parents in Egypt provided feedback highlighting key points, including:
- Language proficiency: UK International Qualifications equip students with a strong command of the English language.
- Academic discipline: These qualifications instill academic discipline and prepare students effectively for university-level education.
- Trusted accreditation: The UK International Qualifications are perceived as a trusted and accredited system, with high regard for its teachers.
Parents in Egypt also gave additional insights on their perceptions of UK International Qualifications, including:
- Educational empowerment: Parents perceive UK International Qualifications as providing a robust educational output and enabling students to take responsibility for their education, contributing to their success at the university level.
- Structured excellence: The structured and organized nature of UK International Qualifications is deemed essential for fostering academic excellence among students.
- Language skills: The qualifications are particularly commended for their effectiveness in teaching proper English language skills, encompassing both speaking and writing proficiency.
School Selection Criteria
When choosing a school, the research found that the British Council's relationship with schools plays a vital role in parents' choice of a school system, with many relying on this relationship for all matters related to IGCSE testing. Parents appreciate that the British Council handles all IGCSE exam logistics and provides dedicated proctors, making it a preferred institution for students to learn English effectively. The criteria for school selection that parents were asked about included whether the school is academically strong, if it has reputable teachers, if they are quick in problem solving, if they foster a community, if they have good management and the level of discipline.