What is Code Club?
Code Club is a network of volunteers and educators who run free computer coding clubs for children aged 9-13 to build up their programming skills. Code Club projects are free and ready to use, with easy to follow step-by-step guides to help children learn the basics of computer coding. The projects gradually introduce coding concepts to allow children to build their knowledge incrementally.
- Code Club supports an international network of educators who run free, extra-curricular coding clubs for children aged 9-13. Clubs provide a space for children to learn about digital skills and coding in a safe, fun environment.
- Code Club is one of the largest programmes of the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
- Currently there are over 13,000 clubs in over 160 countries, and our club projects have been translated into 28 languages. Code club is also led by local partners running Code Club in 12 countries around the world.
How to Start?
- Code Club is offered to the British Council Partner Schools.
- If you are a teacher, please ask for the Code Club manual sent to your school.
- You cannot register as a candidate, please ask your ICT teacher how to participate in this project.
After registering in Code Club, you can sign up a free online course for three weeks that will walk you through how to initiate, run and manage your Code Club step by step.
Benefits for partner schools
- Free online training to build confidence and knowledge of Code Club.
- Structured curriculum of coding projects, designed by educators in the UK.
- 82 ready-made projects to complete.
- Engaging materials that bring Code Clubs to life.
- Students develop core skills such as digital literacy, problem solving, collaboration, creativity and imagination.
- British Council Partner Schools branded certificates recognizing the launch of Code Clubs for teachers and successfully completing one year of Code Clubs for students.
- Share your experiences of setting up Code clubs and ideas in Discussion Forums on the British Council Partner Schools Online Support for Schools Platform (OSS).
- The chance to participate in an annual Code Club competition for students aged 9-13.
How to launch a Code Club?
- Identify the club leader and space
- Register your club and activate via email
- Complete the free online MOOC on how to run a Code Club
- Sign into your profile and download club materials
- Plan and promote your first session
- You’re ready to go!