Call for Applications
The 2019 Al-Azhar UK Scholarship ( deadline: by 16.00 on 7 January 2018)
Al-Azhar and the British Council are pleased to open applications for the 2019 Al-Azhar UK Scholarship. The Scholarship, supported by the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar and the Archbishop of Canterbury, aims to promote mutual understanding among a new generation of Muslim and non-Muslim scholars. It will fund Al-Azhar graduates and future leaders to pursue MA and doctoral studies at British Universities with world class standing in theology and related disciplines. -
Successful applicants will pursue a Masters degree followed by a PhD programme at a UK university. Students’ research focus should be in the fields of:
- Comparative Religion
- Philosophy of Religion
- History of Religion
- Cross-cultural Anthropological Studies
Applicants who are studying related interdisciplinary subjects, such as History, Philosophy, Political Science and Area Studies, are also encouraged to apply. Each scholarship will cover tuition fees for a 1 year Masters and 3 year PhD course, full accommodation and living costs, and an annual return economy-class flight from Egypt to the UK.
Please note that the scholarship will be awarded subject to the candidates achieving a suitable score in IELTS and being successfully admitted to a UK university.
Successful applicants will:
- Be an employee of Al-Azhar as a teaching assistant or an assistant lecturer at one of the following faculties (Theology and philosophy, Shar'ia and law, Islamic Studies, Da’awa, Arabic language).
- Have a very good command of English, to at least IELTS Level 7.
- Demonstrate the resilience and ability to excel at PhD level, and flourish in an environment of independent study.
- Return to Egypt at the end of the period of study and continue to work at Al-Azhar University.
- Display the potential to rise to positions of influence and leadership.
Hold a Masters level qualification in a related field or is registered at a Masters’ programme in a related filed and has successfully completed all mandatory courses.
How to apply:
Candidates who meet the criteria above and who wish to begin their studies in late 2019 should submit a completed application form to email@example.com by 16:00 on 31 December 2018.
Application forms can be downloaded from the downloads section below.
Applications will be shortlisted and interviews held late January – late February 2019 (exact dates will be provided to candidates invited to interview).