Call for Applications
The 2020 Al-Azhar UK Scholarship ( deadline: by 16.00 on 4 January 2020)
Al-Azhar, the British Embassy in Cairo and the British Council are pleased to open applications for the 2020 Al-Azhar UK Scholarship. The Scholarship, supported by the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar and the Archbishop of Canterbury, aims to promote mutual understanding among a new generation of Muslim and non-Muslim scholars. It will fund Al-Azhar graduates and future leaders to pursue MA and doctoral studies at British Universities with world class standing in theology and related disciplines.
Successful applicants will pursue a Masters degree followed by a PhD programme at a UK university. Students’ research focus should be in the fields of:
- Comparative Religion
- Philosophy of Religion
- History of Religion
- Cross-cultural Anthropological Studies
Proposals are welcome in any suitable research topic. The following are areas of particular focus:
Modern Western Philosophy (Empiricism, German Idealism, Pragmatism, Continental Philosophy, Analytic Philosophy) Twentieth Century Theory (Semiotics, Hermeneutics, Structuralism, Post-Structuralism, Phenomenology, Critical Theory).
Applicants who are studying related interdisciplinary subjects, such as History, Philosophy, Political Science and Area Studies, are also encouraged to apply.
Each scholarship will cover tuition fees for a 1 year Masters and 3 year PhD course, full accommodation and living costs, and an annual return economy-class flight from Egypt to the UK.
Please note that the scholarship will be awarded subject to the candidates achieving a suitable score in IELTS and being successfully admitted to a UK university.
Successful applicants must:
- Be an employee of Al-Azhar as a teaching assistant or an assistant lecturer at one of the following faculties (Theology and philosophy, Shar'ia and law, Islamic Studies (males and females), Da’awa, Arabic language).
- Have a very good command of English, to at least IELTS Level 7.
- Demonstrate the resilience and ability to excel at PhD level, and flourish in an environment of independent study.
- Return to Egypt at the end of the period of study and continue to work at Al-Azhar University.
- Display the potential to rise to positions of influence and leadership.
Hold a Masters level qualification in a related field or is registered at a Masters’ programme in a related filed and has successfully completed all mandatory courses.
How to apply:
Candidates who meet the criteria above and who wish to begin their studies in late 2020 should submit a completed application form to:email@example.com by 16:00 on 04 January 2020.
Application forms can be downloaded from the downloads section below.
Applications will be shortlisted and interviews held late January – late February 2020 (exact dates will be provided to candidates invited to interview).