Research.. Innovation.. Prosperity!
The Newton-Mosharafa Fund is £50 million, seven-year science and innovation partnership between the UK and Egypt.
The Fund brings together the British and Egyptian scientific research and innovation sectors to find joint solutions to the challenges facing Egypt in economic development and social welfare. Read the Newton Mosharafa Fund brief.
Through Newton-Mosharafa, we will:
- build the skills and knowledge of British and Egyptian scientists through training and researcher mobility schemes;
- support British and Egyptian researchers to develop new innovations and partnerships in development areas;
- facilitate collaboration between universities and industry to ensure that new research can benefit all in society.
We support projects in five priority areas:
- Sustainable water management
- Renewable energy
- Sustainable food production
- Archaeology and cultural heritage
- Affordable and inclusive healthcare
Please note that for the 2018-2019 PhD applications round, the theme of archaeology and cultural heritage won’t be accepted.
Funding opportunities under Newton-Mosharafa Fund
The Newton-Mosharafa Fund is subject to Official Development Assistance (ODA) criteria – Find out if you are eligible for ODA.
Newton-Mosharafa is part of the UK’s £735 million Newton Fund running in 15 countries , for more information about the global fund , please visit Newton’s Fund website .
The Fund was launched in 2014 and originally consisted of £75 million each year for 5 years. In the 2015 UK Spending Review it was agreed to extend and expand the Fund. The Newton Fund was extended from 2019 to 2021 and expanded by doubling the £75 million investment to £150 million by 2021, leading to a £735 million UK investment to 2021, with partner countries providing matched resources within the Fund.
In Egypt It funded jointly by the UK and Egyptian Governments. The separate activities are managed by several partners including the British Council, British Academy and Royal Academy of Engineers in the UK, and the Science and Technology Development Fund and Cultural Affairs and Missions Department in Egypt.
Get more information
Read more about the Newton Fund or contact us at: Newton.email@example.com